Sunday, November 20, 2011


I am almost done with my three month stint of volunteering in Galle, Sri Lanka at Ruhunu Children’s Orphanage. I did a lot of research before choosing to go with Global Crossroad, and I’m definitely happy with the choice. They were great at communicating with me throughout the entire process, especially before I left. Deborah, a staff member in the US, was really helpful in comforting me before I left. She answered every question I had. I ended up staying at the home of Michael, the volunteer coordinator of Sri Lanka. It was great to become a part of the family. We ate local food three times a day and got to know many people in the neighborhood. I also appreciated the price of the whole trip, which was very reasonable. I had one roommate, who was also a volunteer. This was a great way to experience the country because we were able to immerse ourselves but we also had each other whenever we needed a break. All of our accommodations were adequate. Our culture orientation really helped us prepare to live in Sri Lanka. The staff at the orphanage where I worked ended up speaking very little English, so I was grateful for the language courses. It didn’t take long for me to feel comfortable in my roll as a volunteer, and I was soon given various responsibilities. I was able to help some of the kids learn English, which turned out to be a great way to bond with them. I worked each week, from Monday to Thursday, from 8 to 3. Michael would bring lunch to me on these days, all cooked by his wife, who is wonderful in the kitchen. Friday was only a half day. In the mornings I would be with the preschool children and in the afternoons I’d be with the babies. Working with babies was great, but it did get messy at times. I had to change diapers, which was quite a learning experience. I would recommend  volunteers and specifically Ruhunu Children's Orphanage here in Galle to anyone interested in learning about South Asia and serving abroad. Really the main responsibilities come down to giving some love and attention to the children. It’s not hard to do that here because they are so wonderful. I also got to do a little traveling and sightseeing while I was here. I’d recommend visiting the Dutch Fort, which is near Michael’s house, or Yala national park. Sri Lanka is a wonderful place, and there is no better way to experience it then through Global Crossroad.

Jessica 
Volunteer Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment