Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nepal is wonderful : Global Crossroad Review

Volunteer_nepal
Saturday afternoon here (May 19th) about 3pm and I've just left the Children's Home where I've been staying since Wednesday May 9th. It was in incredible 10 days, a "home" filled with love (along with 37 children) and it all starts from the top the woman who runs the home along with her daughter Pramila. Never before (in over 20 years of teaching) have I ever come across children so loved, so clean, so respectful, so religious and so helpful. Those are just some of the attributes I can use with the children I have been lucky enough to share a home with. Besides all the wonderful things that happen each and every day at the home, I've also been blessed with being able to teach at the Durga Bhawani Academy School , specfically with 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grades. The students at the school (although older than the children at the home) were also incredible! I really enjoyed working with them and together we had a blast. I brough along with me my laptop and had premade powerpoint presentations along with video movies I made while in Tibet last fall. That blew their socks off and each day we both looked forward to school. Unfortunately, the schools went on strike afterWednesday, so we all missed out on the final two days of working with each other. Not to worry, we have exchanged email addresses and one student (a 10th grade girl) is moving to Massachusetts later in the year with her mother to join her father and brother. They will only be living minutes away from me and I look forward to seeing Dawa Sherpa again.
While at the Children's Home, I took many, many photographs and then began making a movie. It's just about completed and when I get to Tibet (with much faster Internet connection) I will upload the movie for you to see. It's really incrediblw and Prmila is really happy with it as we stayed up late last night putting the finsal touches on it and watching it over & over again :)
Nepal is wonderful:
Krazy Kathmandu Drivers - Krazy Kathmandu Wild Dogs -
Tuk Tuks - Krazy Traffic, English speaking people everywhere (that's always nice to run into), Beautiful children, fun-loving laughing adults, helpful and hopeful people all looking towards a brighter future here in Nepal.
I wish I had a month (or two) to stay in Nepal ...
I wish I could speak Nepali...
I wish I could stay...
But, Tibet awaits!
I hope Tensin is feeling better. I hope I have an opportunity to see her and I also hope she is feeling better. I am looking forward to working with Sonam at JCWSS and still have TONS of supplies (both school and play) for the kids in Lhasa . The children in Nepal , as well as their teachers, were overwhelmed by what I brought them! :)
I have met up with many volunteers...and have heard many stories.Knowing what some have had to work through, I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to work with Pramila and to have worked at the Durga Bhawani Academy . I really think my many years of teaching experience has come into use as many of the othewr "kids" here feel lost or afraid when they are in the classroom. Something to be said for age (and expereince) ;-)
Looking forward to Lhasa and being in Tibet with Global Crossroad...again.

Brian
Volunteer Nepal
                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment